Powerful diesel engine delivers superb starting, idling, and throttle response
The machine is powered by an 854-cc (52.1-cu in.), 3-cylinder, liquid-cooled, four-cycle diesel engine. It produces 48 Nm of torque (35.5-lb-ft) of torque at 2600 rpm.
The advanced engine delivers superb starting, idling, and throttle response during operation.
The engine offers the following performance and reliability features:
- Indirect-injection diesel with glow plugs ensures fast starts in cold temperatures
- 17.1 kW (22.9 hp*) at 3600 rpm
- Overhead valve design for greater efficiency and fuel economy
- Spin-on oil filter for easy servicing
- Quiet operation through the entire rpm range
- Molybdenum-coated pistons
- High-stiffness cylinder block and gearcase
- High-flow water pump and optimized water jackets maintain a steady operating temperature and eliminate hot spots
- Full-pressure lubrication system
- In-line mechanical fuel pump
- Five-point, rubber isolated for quiet operation and minimal vibration
- Dry replaceable dual-element air cleaner with remote intake and a restriction indicator
- See-through coolant recovery tank permits the operator to check the coolant level without removing the radiator cap
- Open front grille allows proper air flow and ventilation to the radiator.
* The engine horsepower information is provided by the engine manufacturer to be used for comparison purposes only. The actual operating horsepower will be less.
Dual A-arm front and rear suspension provides a smooth ride over challenging terrain and excellent hauling characteristics
To complement the robust frame, the XUV is equipped with four-wheel independent suspension.
A dual A-arm front and rear suspension provides a smooth ride over challenging terrain and excellent hauling characteristics.
The entire suspension system has been optimized to handle cargo without compromising ride quality or vehicle stability.
M-trim cab units (factory installed) and R-trim units have heavy-duty front and rear shocks installed from the factory.
- A higher spring rate and higher preload force versus standard springs prevent the vehicle from sagging with a heavy payload.
- These heavy-duty shocks help with the heavier weight of the cab and when attachments are installed, like blades.
Dual A-arm independent front suspension features include:
- 200.7 mm (7.9 in.) of travel provides ample wheel travel to keep all four wheels on the ground for superior traction, excellent ride quality, and vehicle control
- Heavy-duty nodular cast-iron knuckles support the constant-velocity (CV) shaft and wheel
- Maintenance-free rubber torsional A-arm pivots for long life and quiet operation
- CV shaft protection from sticks that may puncture the rubber boot
- Coil-over shocks absorb the most demanding terrain
Dual A-arm independent rear suspension features include:
- Unequal length and dual A-arm construction for superior wheel control and travel
- 231.14 mm (9.1 in.) of total travel provides ample wheel travel to keep all four wheels on the ground for superior traction, excellent ride quality, and vehicle control
- Coil-over shocks absorb the most demanding terrain
- A-arms made from square/rectangular tubing reduce weight while remaining rigid
- Heavy-duty nodular cast-iron uprights support wheel loads with a double row of ball bearings
- CV driveshaft protection from sticks that may puncture the rubber boot
- Rear sway bar for lateral stability
Superior terrain capability
The Gator™ XUV Crossover Series Utility Vehicle has a precision-engineered drivetrain system that fully utilizes engine power, optimizing acceleration, hauling, towing, and hill-climbing capabilities. Power is transmitted from the engine through a continuously-variable clutch system to the transaxle.
Key elements of the drive system include:
The variable-speed drive consists of two clutches and a drive belt:
- Drive clutch is attached to the engine.
- Driven clutch is attached to the transaxle.
- The engine braking system utilizes a tight belt for operation, requiring an idler sleeve on the primary clutch for neutral. The secondary clutch is a build-on-shaft design that utilizes a cam to tune the acceleration and deceleration of the vehicle. The clutch will stay engaged, providing deceleration until approximately 5 km/h (3 mph).
- The continuously variable transmission (CVT) air intake draws in 50 percent more air versus previous designs to reduce heat and the amount of water ingestion into the CVT system. The system will reduce belt slippage and improve durability.
- A low- and high-speed forward gear offering:
- Low range is 0 km/h to 47 km/h (0 mph to 29 mph), XUV835
- Low range is 0 km/h to 24 km/h (0 mph to 15 mph), XUV865
- High range is 0 km/h to 72 km/h (0 mph to 45 mph), XUV835
- High range is 0 km/h to 51 km/h (0 mph to 32 mph), XUV865
- Ability to creep along slowly to maneuver in tight spaces
- Standard full-clutch enclosure with high speed fan provides longer belt and clutch life
- High-ratio clutches with three cam weights for maximum belt-clamp load in high torque conditions
NOTE: Delivery and torque to the ground depends on tire size, which is a function of nominal size and pressure.
How the variable-speed drive works:
- As engine speed increases, the spring-loaded drive clutch is closed by weights being forced out by centrifugal force.
- As the drive clutch closes, the belt rides up to the largest diameter of the drive clutch and forces open the driven clutch.
- With the belt running in the smallest diameter of the driven clutch, the speed being transferred to the transaxle is increased.
- The driven clutch is designed to sense varying loads (inclines, mud, etc.) and constantly adjusts drive speed upward or downward so that engine rpm remains optimal.
Transaxle, mechanical front-wheel drive (MFWD), and constant velocity (CV) shafts
Operator interface features:
- On-demand true four-wheel drive (4WD) system with an auto-locking front differential and dash-mounted electronic rocker switch is best in class. When the rocker switch is in the on 4WD position, the front differential will automatically lock for extra traction when needed, but when the rocker switch is in the off two-wheel drive (2WD) position, the vehicle will remain in 2WD.
- Provides exceptional traction in challenging conditions
- Maintains turf-friendly operation in 2WD mode
- Illuminated for visibility in low-light condition
- Two-speed, fully-enclosed oil bath transaxle allows for superior pulling ability
- Cast-aluminum design is the most robust in the industry
- Helical forward and reverse gears are used for quiet operation
- Rear traction assist (differential lock) is built in and can be engaged on demand
- Allows locking the rear drive wheels together
- Provides increased traction in tough spots
NOTE: Differential design reduces scuffing of the turf during turns because it allows the inside wheels to turn slower than the outside wheels.
- Neutral start safety interlock for engine ignition system
- Large, sealed bearings are located inside the housing for better protection and durability
- Contains gear case for transferring power to the MFWD
- Splined shaft interfaces for maximum torque transfer and durability
- All drive gears machined from highest grade gear steel
- Protected by a skid plate
- Electronic design is auto-locking for ease of use
- Performs like a locking differential when engaged, but like an open differential when cornering
- Offers positive engagement of both front wheels in forward and reverse as a differential package
- Automatic engagement on the fly—no shift linkages required
- Protected by a skid plate and frame
Drive shaft features:
- Rear CV shaft diameter measures 27 mm (1.1 in.) and is designed for peak engine and braking torque
- Front CV shaft diameter measures 23 mm (0.91 in.) and is designed for peak engine torque
- Propshaft is designed for peak engine torque
- All CV shaft and propshaft joints are maintenance free and protected by exclusive thermoplastic elastomer (TPE) boots for durability
Extra-durable deluxe cargo box ensures hard-working performance and longevity
The deluxe cargo box consists of a 15 percent glass-filled polypropylene composite material that eliminates rust and dents and reduces noise.
Deluxe cargo box tailgate
The tailgate can be opened or removed for easier cleanout and to carry longer items. The tailgate has been improved, features truck-like performance, and can be operated with one hand.
The standard-installed lanyards can also be removed to lower the tailgate to 150 degrees for convenient loading and unloading tasks.
Deluxe cargo box tilt
The deluxe cargo box is easier to latch, unlatch, raise, and lower with the integrated handle design and gas assist.
A prop rod is provided to hold the box in the upright position for operator convenience, as well as limit box pivot travel.
Integrated tie-down points
The deluxe cargo box offers integrated tie-down points for increased versatility. Tie-down points are located in the following areas:
- Four corners inside the cargo box bed
- Four points on the load guard directly behind the operator station (A)
- Tie-down bars on either side of the cargo box (B)
- Six points on the underside of the cargo box frame (circled)
Converting deluxe cargo box to a flatbed
Optional accessories for the deluxe cargo box:
- See attachment Sales Manual information
|| 1143 mm (45 in.)
|| 1320 mm (52 in.)
|| 304 mm (12 in.)
|| 0.46 m3 (16.4 cu ft)
| Weight capacity
|| 454 kg (1000 lb)
| Dump angle
|| 47 degrees
CAUTION: Carrying extra-long cargo that extends beyond the box can adversely affect stability.
Attachment-ready electrical system
On M- and R-trim vehicles, adding attachments and accessories is made easier by the inclusion of some main wiring harnesses that facilitate efficient hook-up.
Equipped with power steering
This Gator™ XUV Crossover Utility Vehicle is equipped with power steering and a dual A-arm front suspension. These automotive-type systems exhibit excellent handling characteristics, as well as responsive steering and low steering effort:
- Steel ball-bearings secure the steering shaft and deliver smooth, responsive operation
- Completely sealed rack and pinion for long life
- Low steering ratio (lock-to-lock) provides more responsive steering and less operator input
- Shaft U-joints are phased for a smooth, uninterrupted motion of the steering wheel
- Tilt steering wheel with XXXX in of travel
Electric power-assist steering (EPAS) system has advanced features:
- Anti-kickback feature reduces the amount of steering unwinding when traversing difficult terrain.
- The system is speed-sensing and adjusts steering effort as the speed of the vehicle changes.
- As speed increases, there is less steering assist for improved road feel.
- As speed decreases, steering assist increases to give lower steering efforts for improved maneuverability.
- A warning/functional light on the instrument panel provides self-diagnostics and a warning light in the situation of no assist.
- Torque sensor measures steering wheel input so the on-board computer can provide the appropriate output for various driving situations.
With the EPAS system, the operator maintains a direct mechanical linkage from the steering wheel to the front wheels. The power steering system interfaces mechanically with the steering system by being inserted between the steering wheel and the rack-and-pinion assembly.
A differential torque sensor is integrated into the power steering assembly. The circuit board assembly is also integral with the power steering assembly.
Power steering does not reduce turning radius but significantly reduces steering effort by approximately 85 percent compared to models without power steering.
M trim details
The M trim adds electrical power-assist steering (EPAS) and brings in the main wiring harness for easier attachment hook-up. Cabs are available in this trim level. Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) is also an option within the M-trim level.
- Roof standard on all units – can order less roof on open station units
- Available factory-installed winch on M- and R-trim units
- Available factory-installed front glass windshield on M Trim open station units
- Available factory-installed rear glass panel on M Trim open station units
- Available factory-installed brush guard
- Available factory-installed brush guard extensions
- Available factory-installed rear cargo box fender guards (rear bumper required, also factory installed)