Powered by 11.6-kw (15.5-hp)*, 675-cc (41.2-cu in.), V-twin, four-cycle gas engine
The Gator™ TX 4X2 is powered by an 11.6-kw (15.5-hp)*, 675-cc (41.2-cu in.), V-twin, four-cycle gas engine.
*The engine horsepower information is provided by the engine manufacturer to be used for comparison purposes only. The actual operating horsepower will be less.
The model year 2015 TX (49 state) and beyond receives evaporative emissions components to meet Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Clean Air Act requirements.
This engine has several performance and reliability features:
- Overhead valve design for greater efficiency and fuel economy
- Full-pressure lubrication system
- Oil filter is standard on the Gator TX 4X2 engine
- Replaceable single-element air cleaner with remote intake
- Large-capacity spark-arresting muffler
- Low fuel consumption and large 18.9 L (5 U.S. gal.) fuel tank;
fuel consumption at half load and average speed is as follows:
- Gator TX 4X2: 1.3 L/h (0.35 U.S. gph)
- EPA compliant
Precision-engineered drive system
Power is transmitted from the engine, through a continuously variable clutch system, to a transaxle. Power is transmitted from the transaxle directly to the rear axle.
Key elements of the drive system are as follows:
The variable-speed drive consists of two clutches connected by a drive belt:
- Drive clutch is attached to and rotated by the engine.
- Driven clutch is attached to and drives the transaxle.
- Infinite selection of speeds (0 km/h to 32 km/h [0 mph to 20 mph])
- No shifting necessary as operator increases speed
- Adjusts speed to the load to avoid bogging down when going up a hill or through challenging conditions because the wrong gear was selected
How the variable-speed drive works:
- As the engine speed increases, the spring-loaded drive clutch is closed by weights being forced out by centrifugal force.
- As the drive clutch closes, the belt rides up to the largest diameter of the drive clutch and forces open the driven clutch.
- With the belt running in the smallest diameter of the driven clutch, the speed being transferred to the transaxle is increased.
- The driven clutch is designed to sense varying loads (inclines, mud, etc.) and constantly adjusts the drive speed upward or downward, so the engine rpm remains constant at constant throttle position.
The transaxle is fully enclosed and runs in oil for reliability.
Helical gears are used for quiet operation.
Differential design reduces scuffing of the turf during turns because the inside wheels turn slower than the outside wheels (vehicles that have a solid axle shaft must skid the inside wheel when making a turn).
Traction assist (differential lock) is built into the transaxle:
- Allows locking the rear drive wheels together
- Provides increased traction in tough spots
A neutral start safety interlock is provided for the engine ignition system.
Heavy-duty rear axle housings
Gator TS 4X2
Bolt-on cast-aluminum rear-axle housings provide an extremely strong supporting structure.
- Large, sealed bearings are located inside the housing for better protection
- Forged-splined shaft for increased torsional strength
Gator TX 4X2
One-piece forged axles are splined for maximum strength.
- Large, sealed bearings for better protection and load-carrying capabilities
- Forged-splined shaft for increased torsional strength
- Nodular cast-iron housing for increased durability
NOTE: The TS 4X2 is not sold in Australia/New Zealand.
All-wheel hydraulic disc braking with dual master cylinder
- Four-wheel hydraulic disc brakes
- Braided stainless-steel brake lines with banjo fittings for increased durability
- Hand-lever-operated mechanical park brake system
- Integral cast-iron rotors with wheel hubs for extended life
- Automotive-style dual-circuit master cylinder with a see-through reservoir
- Larger front and rear brake calipers with sintered metallic brake pads
- Smooth-feeling engagement
Automotive-type rack and pinion steering with fully independent, single A-arm suspension
Automotive-type rack and pinion steering features include:
- Smooth, responsive operation
- Tight turning circle for excellent maneuverability
- 2.74 m (9 ft) for Gator™ TX 4X2
- Completely sealed for long life
Fully independent, single A-arm suspension features include:
- 127 mm (5 in.) of total travel for better off-road control
- Spring-over-shock dampening
- Cast nodular iron 25-mm (1-in.) diameter spindles
- Automotive-type maintenance-free rubber torsional pivots for long life and quiet operation
The semi-independent coil over shock (COS) rear suspension system provides a softer ride.
A low center of gravity gives excellent stability.
The cargo-box load is centered over the rear wheels for balanced weight distribution.
NOTE: Shown with the optional front bumper, brush guard, and floormat.
Four types of flotation tires are available for the Gator™ TX 4X2:
- (A) AT (all terrain) tires
- (B) Turf tires
- Both options, turf and AT, are 4-ply rated, and have an enhanced blend of material and more content that yields significantly more useful life
- These tread patterns give a more aggressive showroom appeal
- Each tire combines puncture resistance with a tread designed for maximum traction and performance
All tires offer a wide profile and are designed to be inflated at a low psi.
- Provides good flotation and traction in mud, sand, and other wet or soft areas
- Flexes over bumps and ruts for a smoother, more comfortable ride
- Minimizes ground compaction to save turf and prevent ruts in soft ground
|AT, front (two 22x9.5-10 4PR)
AT, rear (two 24x10.5-10 4PR)
|Turf, front (two 22x9.50-10 4PR)
Turf, rear (two 24x12.00-10 4PR)
NOTE: John Deere recommends that all four or six (6x4 Gator™ models) tires be the same. Although the wheel and tire sizes remain the same, current tires should not be mixed with existing tires. The existing tires will remain available to service existing Gator utility vehicles.
Features operating conveniences such as high-back seats, cup holders, 12-V outlet, glove box, and fuel gauge
Numerous features offer the operator and passenger a comfortable ride and provide many operating conveniences.
- Side-by-side bucket seating provides room for one operator and one passenger
- Hip restraints serve as a handhold and help to keep the operator and passenger in their seats over rough terrain
- Both seats tilt forward for dry storage and ease of service
- Choice of adjustable or non-adjustable driver's seat
- Hour-meter is standard to assist in maintaining regular service intervals
- Integrated cupholders
- 12-V outlet located on instrument panel
The control location and walk-through platform provide easy entry/exit for operator and passenger.
NOTE: Shown above with the optional front bumper, brush guard, front fender guard, and floor mat.
NOTE: The front bumper is standard on the Gator™ TH 6X4 Diesel.
- All models feature a park brake indicator light, hour-meter, and tank-mounted fuel gauge as standard equipment
- Traction assist (differential lock) is hand operated and conveniently located between the operator and passenger seats
- Traction assist indicator light (Gator TH 6X4 only)
- Glove box is located in the dash to provide a convenient storage area for small tools and the operator's manual
- Grab bar is provided for the passenger
- Center-mounted key switch
- Additional storage is provided between the seats
Equipped with rear receiver hitch
The rear receiver hitch is standard equipment on the Gator™ TX 4X2 and TX Turf.
- Versatile hitch accepts a 31.75-mm (1.25-in.) drawbar
- No ball mount comes with the hitch
Durable deluxe cargo box
The deluxe cargo box consists of a 15 percent glass-filled polypropylene composite material that eliminates rust, dents, and reduces noise.
Deluxe cargo box tailgate
The tailgate can be opened or removed for easier cleanout and to carry longer items. The tailgate has been improved, features truck-like performance, and can be operated with one hand.
The standard installed lanyards can also be removed to lower the tailgate to 150 degrees for convenient loading and unloading tasks.
Deluxe cargo box tilt
The deluxe cargo box is easier to latch, unlatch, raise, and lower with the integrated handle design and gas assist (A).
A prop rod (B) is provided to hold the box in the upright position for operator convenience, as well as limit box pivot travel.
Integrated tie-down points
The deluxe cargo box offers integrated tie-down points for increased versatility. Tie-down points are located in the following areas:
- Four corners inside the cargo box bed
- Four points on the load guard directly behind the operator station (A)
- Tie-down bars on either side of the cargo box (B)
- Six points on the underside of the cargo box frame (circled)
Converting deluxe cargo box to a flat bed
The deluxe cargo box easily converts to a flat bed. The flatbed configuration allows loading larger cargo.
Optional accessories for the deluxe cargo box include:
- Factory-installed brake and taillight
- Factory-installed spray-in liner (not shown)
- Improves skid resistance and surface abrasion protection
- Cargo box bed mat
- Cargo box power lift (not shown)
||465 cu L (16.4 cu ft)
||272 kg (600 lb)
Box dump angles (degrees)
||43 degrees +/-1
||43 degrees +/-1
CAUTION: Carrying extra-long cargo that extends beyond the box can adversely affect stability.