Heavy-duty frame provides strength and durability
The durability features of the frame are as follows:
- Heavy-duty, thick-gauge, steel channel mainframe for strength and durability
- Cast I-beam caster arms to handle the beating and pounding professional mowers receive
- Wide-open access for maintenance and cleaning
Two-piece rear bumper provides protection
A steel rear bumper provides protection for the machine. The bumper is made of two pieces, making it easy to remove and install when using a material collection system (MCS).
A rear hitch can be added to the steel bumper for towing purposes. ZTrak E, M, and R Series Mowers can tow up to 400 lb (181.4 kg).
Michelin® X® Tweel® Turf airless radial tire technology for ZTrak™ Mowers eliminates downtime and reduces cost of operation
John Deere provides the commercial mower industry with the Michelin X Tweel Turf technology for Commercial ZTrak Mowers:
- 24x12N12 as an ordering option code for ZTrak Gas Mowers with 54 in., 60 in., and 72 in. (137-cm, 152-cm, and 183-cm) Mower Decks
- 24x12N12 is also available as base code equipment for ZTrak Gas Mowers with 54 in., 60 in., and 72 in. (137-cm, 152-cm, and 183-cm) Mower Decks (ordering information available at Configurator on the Tweel model page)
- 24x12N12 as an ordering option code for ZTrak Z994R Diesel with 54 in. and 60 in. (137-cm and 152-cm) Mower Decks
- 26x12N12 as an ordering option code for Z997R Diesel with 60 in. and 72 in. (152-cm and 183-cm) Mower Decks
Michelin is a world leader in tire manufacturing and technology. This airless radial tire solution is an industry first for John Deere, which provides an additional advantage to John Deere customers.
Advantages of the Michelin X Tweel Turf include:
- Mowing performance is improved.
- Rutting is reduced because the Michelin X Tweel Turf has more support across the surface for improved flotation and better ground contact.
- Unique energy transfer within the poly-resin spokes reduces the bounce associated with pneumatic tires.
- Excellent curb climbing is possible due to the Michelin X Tweel Turf construction and flexibility.
- More consistent cut quality is achieved because inconsistent tire pressure is eliminated.
- Uptime is improved.
- The exclusive technology eliminates downtime and associated cost due to flat or damaged tires.
- Punctures and sidewall damage no longer result in downtime.
- Cost of operation is reduced.
- Cost of repairs and maintenance is reduced. One single unit replaces the current tire, wheel, and valve assembly. There is no need for complex tire-mounting equipment.
- No need to spend time checking and optimizing tire pressure.
- The need to purchase and stock plug kits and spare tires is eliminated, particularly for professional landscape contractors and government agencies who normally stock them.
- The tire tread will last up to three times longer than current pneumatic tires because automotive-grade rubber is used for the tread.
Heavy-duty construction provides the ultimate in performance and reliable operation:
- High-strength poly-resin spokes carry the load.
- Four-hole, heavy-duty steel hub for durability.
- Deep, open-tread design provides excellent cleaning and traction.
- Zero degree, high-tensile proprietary carcass provides great lateral stiffness while resisting damage from impact and penetration.
NOTE: In some cases different size Tweels are required depending on the mowing deck size.
Tires deliver exceptional traction and maneuverability
The ZTrak™ E Series Mowers with 48-in. (122-cm) mower decks come with 24x9.5-12 4 PR drive tires. E Series Mowers with 54-in. (137-cm) and 60-in. (152-cm) decks come with 24x12-12 4 PR drive tires. All E Series Mowers are equipped with 13x6.5-6 front pneumatic caster tires for the following:
- Excellent traction, flotation, and curb climbing
- Low center of gravity to increase hillside mowing capability
- Caster wheels and caster wheel towers with sealed bearings for long life and easy steering
- Offset front caster wheels to help improve the inside corner-trim performance and reduce between-blade striping
Michelin, X, and Tweel are trademarks of Michelin North America, Inc.
Powerful 25.0-hp (18.6-kW) commercial-grade engine delivers class-leading performance and efficiency
The Z915E is powered by an air-cooled, vertical shaft engine:
- 25.0-hp (18.6-kW) gas engine
Engine features include:
- Overhead valve design
- More horsepower and torque per cubic inch of displacement
- Fuel efficient design
- Full-pressure lubrication with full-flow filter
- Reduces engine wear by ensuring proper lubrication, even when operating on hillsides or uneven terrain
- Oil filter helps keep oil clean for increased engine life
- V-twin big block design
- Vertical shaft
- Easy-access, dual-element air filter with quick-release latch
- 15-amp alternator
- Fuel pump
- Complies with strict Environment Protection Agency (EPA) and California Air Resources Board (CARB) emission standards without loss of horsepower or torque
- Aluminum block engines
- Effectively dissipate heat
- Lightweight and strong construction
- Extend engine life due to elimination of debilitating engine temperatures
- Air-cooled engine design
Air cleaner filters out dust that can damage an engine
ZTrak™ Z900 Mowers are equipped with a dual-element, canister-style air filter, easily accessible from the rear of the machine without tools.
- The filtration system pulls clean air from above the engine, in turn filtering out the dust that can damage an engine over time.
- Filters are extremely easy to change when required.
- Pre-cleaner provides more protection against contamination in dusty and dirty applications.
Mow all day on a single tank of fuel with efficient and easy-to-fill fuel tank
The ZTrak™ Z900 Mowers are equipped with one single-fill, top-draw fuel tank:
- 11.5-U.S. gal. (43.5-L) capacity enables operators to mow all day without refueling.
- The fuel gauge makes it quick and easy to see how much fuel is in the tank.
- Top draw provides added safety.
- A large fuel-filler neck is angled to make it easy for an operator to complete the fueling process.
Under normal conditions, load, and operation, fuel consumption for the Z900 ZTrak Mowers is 1.5 U.S. gph (5.7 L/hr) to 2.2 U.S. gph (8.3 L/hr), depending on the horsepower and conditions.
Durable hydrostatic drive train that delivers better cooling and provides easy access
The hydrostatic drive features two 13-cc (0.8-cu in.) unitized hydraulic pumps combined with commercial-grade, heavy-duty wheel motors into a single unit.
One pump and one motor drive each wheel on the ZTrak™ E and M Series Mowers. This provides several benefits:
- Exceptional cooling in high-load conditions
- Easy-to-check level and refill hydraulic oil
- Opens up access under the seat
Two seat choices with ComfortGlide™ fore/aft suspension offer exceptional operator comfort
There are two seating options available for the E Series, both of which are factory installed:
- Deluxe comfort seat with armrests
- Deluxe comfort seat with armrests and isolation
ComfortGlide fore/aft suspension
Each seat has the ComfortGlide fore/aft suspension system that gives superior ride comfort over uneven areas:
- Seat can travel up to 2 in. (50.8 mm) fore and aft to absorb bumps for a significant enhancement to ride comfort.
- Control lever provides the ability to easily lock out fore/aft suspension movement if desired.
- One lever has three functions.
- Slide seat forward and back 3 in. (10.2 cm) to allow the operator the ability to choose the leg room needed
- Activate ComfortGlide fore/aft seat suspension
- Lock out ComfortGlide fore/aft seat suspension
Deluxe comfort seat with armrests
The deluxe comfort seat with armrests is standard on all E, M, and R Series models:
- Rubber springs are provided to increase ride comfort.
- A convenient seat latch makes it easy to lift the seat.
- The seat is factory installed.
Deluxe comfort seat with armrests and isolation
The deluxe comfort seat with armrests and isolation is available on the E, M, and R Series:
- Rubber springs are provided to isolate the seat base and to increase ride comfort.
- A convenient seat latch makes it easy to lift the seat.
- Isolation mounting is a good feature to reduce vibration.
- On Z900s ordered with the deluxe comfort seat with armrests and isolation option, it is factory installed.
Designed for operator comfort
Two-lever hydrostatic control provides the following:
- Allows the operator to select the ground speed and direction control simply by moving levers forward or reverse.
- Positive neutral lock position for levers provides added safety.
- Brake & Go operator-presence system returns levers to the neutral position when the brake pedal is actively engaged.
- Starting the machines are as easy as starting a car. It no longer matters if the control levers are extended out or pulled in, as long as the parking brake is engaged. Just turn the key and go.
- Wide-bend, large-diameter steering levers swing out easily for entry and exit from the operator platform.
Brake & Go starting system
The Brake & Go starting system is a John Deere exclusive. This feature makes the starting process on all ZTrak™ mowers easier, while also making it possible to remove two interlock switches from the machine.
The Brake & Go starting procedure helps a novice operator look and feel like a professional. To start the machine, the parking brake must be engaged. It does not matter whether the power take-off (PTO) switch is on or off, nor does it matter if the control levers are pulled in or in the out position.
As long as the parking brake is engaged, the machine will start. When the parking brake is applied, the control levers cannot be moved to the forward or reverse positions.
The motion control levers have two height positions and can also be adjusted forward or rearward within the slotted holes. The levers should be adjusted so the operator can achieve a full range of control operation comfortably.
The easy-to-turn (from-the-seat) tracking adjustment allows operators to keep their mowers straight and able to produce professional striping results.
Onboard storage and cup holder
Several storage areas are provided on the ZTrak machines. A convenient cup holder is also available.
Right-hand control panel
The controls are grouped together on the right console, providing one central location for key switch, throttle, PTO engagement, height-of-cut, diagnostics, and hourmeter.
- Rocker-type PTO switch
- Height-of-cut knob with transport lock
- Key switch
- Separate choke control
- Easy choke operation yields less fouling of plugs
- No choke required for the EFI models
Easy-to-operate height-of-cut adjustment enables on-the-go changes
An easy-to-use cutting-height lift system allows the operator to adjust the mower deck height with no tools and minimal effort. The easy-to-grip knob allows operators to dial in the desired height of cut (HOC).
Cutting height can be adjusted from approximately 1 in. to 5.5 in. (2.5 cm to 14 cm). Each increment on the knob adjusts the HOC approximately 0.25 in. (0.64 cm). The deck can also be raised and locked in a transport position to provide maximum ground clearance when moving the machine from one area to another.
The transport lock function allows the deck to be returned to the previous HOC after being in the transport position:
- Use the foot-lift pedal to lift the deck and engage the transport lock.
- Rotate the knob to adjust from 1 in. to 5.5 in. (2.5 cm to 14 cm) in 0.25-in. (0.64 cm) increments.
This design increases productivity by allowing operators to change the cutting height without having to leave the seat.
Mower is easy to service with many accessible components
The design of the Z900 Series makes many service components reachable and easily accessible from the ground.
- Large, open engine compartment at the rear of the machine provides convenient servicing and ensures the engine heat is directed away from the operator.
Onboard maintenance chart
All ZTrak™ Mowers come with an onboard maintenance chart that is conveniently located inside the right-hand console. The service interval chart gives necessary service intervals.
The hourmeter shows the number of hours the machine is run when the key switch is in the on position. It only counts the hours the engine is actually running. Machine diagnostics are the first step of a monitoring system to help operators quickly diagnose common downtime issues. A trouble code light is included on the hourmeter.
Use of the hourmeter and service interval chart helps determine when the machine will need service.
Rollover protective structure (ROPS) enhances operator safety
The ZTrak™ Z900E, M, and R Series Mowers are equipped with a standard two-post folding ROPS and seat belt. The folding ROPS enhances operator safety and provides ample clearance when storing the mower in garages or sheds:
- ISO21299 certification
The ROPS system can be repositioned without the use of tools. Under normal operation, the ROPS should be in the up position. If operating in low clearance areas, they can be folded and secured out of the way. The ROPS can also be pinned halfway down to accommodate machines equipped with a material collection system.
Three-year, bumper-to-bumper warranty
E and M Series three-year, 1200-hour bumper-to-bumper warranty
An exclusive two-year, unlimited hour/three-year, 1200-hour (whichever comes first) bumper-to-bumper warranty is standard for all John Deere E and M Series Mowers. The warranty is best in its class and places John Deere at the forefront of commercial mowing. It is also hassle free, with one company handling all of the paperwork.
NOTE: 36 months or 1200 hours, whichever comes first. For the first 24 months, there is no hour limitation.
R Series three-year, 1500-hour bumper-to-bumper warranty
An exclusive two-year, unlimited hour/three-year, 1500-hour (whichever comes first) bumper-to-bumper warranty is standard on all John Deere R Series mowers. The warranty is best in the industry and puts John Deere at the forefront of commercial mowing. It is also hassle free, with one company handling all of the paperwork.
NOTE: 36 months or 1500 hours, whichever comes first. For the first 24 months, there is no hour limitation.
Mower decks are safety certified
Mowers decks are evaluated by the manufacturer (John Deere Turf Care) and conform to American National Standards Institute (ANSI) B71.4 2004 safety certification specifications for commercial turf care equipment.
Durable 7-Iron™ II decks pressed from a single piece of steel
The ZTrak™ E Series Mowers are equipped with a side-discharge, 7-Iron II mower deck.
7-Iron II mower decks have demonstrated quality, performance, and durability. They deliver a high quality cut in diverse conditions.
Key features of the 7-Iron II mower deck:
- Deck is stamped from 7-gauge, 0.179-in. (4.6-mm) steel to minimize the number of welds and provide a smooth underside, with fewer sharp corners, for reduced material buildup.
- This design minimizes the number of welds on the deck shell itself.
- There is an anti-skid pad on the top corner of the trim side of the deck.
- High blade tip speed - 18,500 fpm (5,638.8 m/min) for more blade cuts per inch mowed.
- A deep-deck design of 5.5 in. (14 cm) delivers excellent airflow so material can be processed quickly and efficiently.
- The wide and high discharge opening provides even clipping dispersal for an excellent finished appearance in all conditions.
- Deck has rectangular leading deck edge reinforcement, and the rounded corners of the stamped deck help distribute impact stress to reduce the potential of damage when the mower contacts trees, rocks, curbs, and other fixed obstacles.
- Dual-captured anti-scalp wheels on the front of the deck provide flotation over even the toughest terrain.
- Three 1-in. (2.54-cm) cold-forged spindles are heat-treated for strength without bulk and are supported by ball bearings, providing reliability and performance; spindle housings are ribbed cast aluminum, providing both excellent strength and heat dissipation.
- The front edge is raised above the blade plane to allow even cutting of tall grass and is reinforced with a square bar for durability. The front baffle has been designed to better manage airflow and control clippings.
- Grease fittings on each of the three spindles are accessible from the top.
- Blade overlap is 1.6 in. (40.6 mm) to reduce striping between blades.
- Quick-change cutting-height adjustment is available.
7-Iron II mower deck
The Z915E is available with a choice of mower decks:
- 48 in. (122 cm)
- 54 in. (137 cm)
- 60 in. (152 cm)
The Z915E uses a vertical-shaft engine. The power take-off (PTO) clutch is located on the bottom of the engine with the belt extending from the clutch to the mower deck, which is turned on and off by an electromagnetic clutch.
Spindle assembly provides greater performance and reliability
On every John Deere ZTrak™ mower deck, there are three 1-in. (2.5-cm) spindles that are cold-forged and heat-treated for strength without bulk. The spindles are supported by precision ball bearings, providing great performance and reliability.
The spindle housing is made of aircraft-grade, ribbed cast aluminum. This unique casting design embosses reinforcing gussets in the housing, which adds both strength and cooling surface area that stands up to commercial applications.
These spindles can be greased from the top and require no disassembly to reach. Grease channels provide lubrication to both bearings.