Design includes a heavy-duty formed and welded steel frame
ZTrak Mowers are designed around a heavy-duty formed and welded steel frame for strength and reliability.
Large front caster wheels and large rear drive wheels provide several operator benefits:
The operator platform is roomy and uncluttered for maximum comfort, and the controls are convenient to use:
- Easy to get on and off the mower
- Ample legroom for comfortable operation
- Adjustable motion-control levers for height and position, enabling the operator to stay comfortable while using them
- Color-coded and logically placed controls
Engine is smooth and powerful V-twin design
A V-twin engine with 44.2-cu in. (724-cc) displacement provides plenty of power and torque to handle tough mulching, mowing, and bagging conditions:
- V-twin cylinder design for greater torque, lower vibration, and improved sound quality
- Engine model M44
- Electronic ignition for fast starts
- Cast-iron sleeves for longer engine life
- Overhead valves for excellent power and fuel economy
- Spin-on oil filter with pressure lubrication for keeping the oil cleaner for long engine life and extended time between oil changes; pressure lubrication is also more effective when operating the tractor on an incline
- Easy access to the no-tools oil drain valve for oil changes
- Rear engine guard for protecting the engine and providing additional strength and integrity
The Z525E engine has extended life series (ELS) features for enhanced performance and longer life.
Replaceable fuel filter and oil filter are easy to access and change to minimize service time and cost.
John Deere recommends the use of fuel stabilizer in gasoline. See Fuel-Protect for gasoline engines (8 oz) for more information
Full-featured engine is more reliable and lasts longer
The Z375R and the Z525E have a full-featured engine with extended life series (ELS) features that is engineered to deliver world-class endurance and power. A step above the competition, it is designed to be more dependable and longer lasting, saving time and money over the long run.
Built to exceed demanding needs by incorporating premium features and innovative designs:
- Overhead valve (OHV) design for cooler operation and longer valve life
- Contains an advanced debris management system that directs cooling air through the rotating screen to the air cleaner compartment, where large debris is pre-filtered through ejector slots
- Keeps unfiltered air out of the engine through a large, dual-sealed, premium oval-shaped cartridge-style filter
- Ensures maximum protection for extended engine life with the premium air cleaner, a pleated paper filter with a foam precleaner
- Captures fine particles for maximum protection and extended maintenance
- Provides maximum protection with full-pressure lubrication system
- Pumps oil by a mechanical gerotor-style pump to all critical engine components
- Enhances the system through a premium automotive-style spin-on oil filter, which removes over 95 percent of oil contaminates
- A premium bearing package for improved durability; includes a super-finished crank pin bearing with a 50 percent smoother surface to increase load capacity by 35 percent
- Uses a premium DU Teflon®-coated bearing
- Helps resist wear and increases durability through self-lubricating bronze bearing
- Wear-resistant chrome-plated valve stems for long-life valves
- 44 percent smoother for longer life
- Cast-iron cylinder sleeve for extended life
- Dependable float-feed type carburetor with integral fuel pump
- High-capacity fuel filter for dependable operation
- 30 micron filter with 55 percent more filter area than standard filters
- Maintenance-free electronic ignition for quick, dependable starts
- Platinum spark plugs for extended life
Teflon is a trademark of E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company or its affiliates.
Operator station is designed for comfort and convenience
The operator station is designed for operator comfort and convenience in operating all controls:
- Excellent visibility forward and to the trim side of the deck makes operation easy and comfortable for the operator.
- Controls are color coded for easy identification.
- Twin-lever motion-control levers adjust, using cut-height pin/socket, for convenience and operator comfort.
- Shock absorbers dampen control movements to give smooth operation.
Comfortable seats with two suspension springs and no-tools fore-aft seat adjustment, that can be used by the operator while seated:
- Z525E – Medium-back, 15-in. (38-cm) seat with adjustable armrests and 3-in. (7.6-cm) fore-aft adjustment
- Z535M – High-back, 18-in. (45.7-cm) seat with adjustable armrests and 3-in. (7.6-cm) fore-aft adjustment
- Z540M – High-back, 18-in. (45.7-cm) seat with adjustable armrests and 3-in. (7.6-cm) fore-aft adjustment
- Z535R – High-back, 20-in. (50.8-cm) seat with adjustable armrests and 4.5-in. (11.4-cm) fore-aft adjustment
- Z540R – High-back, 20-in. (50.8-cm) seat with adjustable armrests and 4.5-in. (11.4-cm) fore-aft adjustment
Two steel springs under the seat absorb shocks when traveling over rougher areas to provide a smoother ride.
The commercial-style steel footrest flips up to provide easy access for servicing the mower deck:
- Easy to clean grass off the top of the mower
- Provides convenient access to the mower drive
Instruments and controls are convenient and easy to use
The motion-control levers can be adjusted to three different height settings and fifteen different fore-aft settings:
- Increased operator comfort
- Adjustable for most precise control of the machine
- Adjustment of the control lever can be done with the cut-height pin
A standard shock absorber for the motion-control levers makes maneuvering ZTrak™ Mowers easy and comfortable:
- Shock absorber modulates the movement of control levers for smoother operation.
- Operator can smoothly and precisely control the machine
On-board tracking adjustment from the operator seat is quick and easy. The cut-height pin includes a 13-mm wrench and doubles as a convenient tool for adjusting tracking and the motion-control lever position:
The operator control panel is conveniently located and easy to use.
The following instruments and controls are included:
- Ignition switch
- Power take-off (PTO) control
- Engine speed/choke control
- A choke position is built into the engine speed control (525E, Z535M).
- A separate lever is provided for operating the choke (Z540M)
The park brake is conveniently located:
- Large lever is easy to use.
- Park brake effectively holds the machine in the parked position.
- Park brake must be engaged (in the upper position) to start the engine.
- Once the engine is started, the park brake must be disengaged before operating the motion-control levers.
- Mower deck cutting height adjusts from 1 in. (2.5 cm) to 4 in. (10.2 cm) in 0.25-in. (0.64-cm) increments for excellent cut quality and performance.
- Mower-deck adjustment has built-in memory so the operator can easily return to the desired cutting height after raising the deck.
Serviceability is designed-in for convenience
A convenient service interval decal provides basic maintenance information. It provides a quick-reference for keeping recommended service up to date.
The footrest area is hinged and easily raised for service to mower deck:
The engines are easy to service, including changing the oil and the oil filter and servicing the air filter.
Accel Deep™ Mower Decks have several features that make them easy to service:
- Flat-top design minimizes places for debris to collect.
- Spring-loaded, flip-up belt guards make removing debris easy.
- Provision is provided for a standard, 3/8-in. (9.5-mm) ratchet wrench to be used for releasing belt tension when removing the drive belt.
Tie-down locations are provided for convenience and safety when trailering the machine.
The 48-in. (122-cm) Accel Deep™ (48A) Mower Deck cuts clean and is versatile
The 54-in. (138-cm) Accel Deep™ (54A) Mower Deck cuts clean and is versatile